In 1840 South Australia’s Lieutenant-Colonel George Gawler selected this location for the Adelaide Hospital. In 1939 the hospital was renamed The Royal Adelaide Hospital.
The Royal Adelaide Hospital has occupied an important physical and emotional place in the history of South Australia. It has been the focus of medical care, education and research since the 1850s and has played an essential role as the centre of advances in health care and services since its inception.
The earliest remaining building on the site is the Margaret Graham Nurses' Home which was completed in 1911. The 1920s Master Plan resulted in four new buildings along North Terrace being built namely the Former Admission Casualty Building (Women’s Health Centre) (1935); Allied Health Services Building (1935); McEwin Building (1946); and the Bice Building (1927). In 1951 a larger nurses' home, the Eleanor Harrald Nurses' Home was constructed. An extensive redevelopment of the hospital occurred in the early 1960’s and was followed by the 'great demolition' of the earlier hospital buildings.
In September 2017 the old Royal Adelaide Hospital was closed and relocated to its new home on Port Road. The site was renamed Lot Fourteen, and the master plan commenced for its transformation into a global-reaching innovation precinct.
While none of the original hospital buildings remain, six State Heritage-listed buildings along North Terrace and Frome Road have been retained with contemporary upgrades as part of the Lot Fourteen redevelopment.
One of these State Heritage-listed buildings is The Sheridan Building (former Kiosk). The Sheridan Kiosk was originally built in 1925, based on a flexible rotunda design. It operated for many years as a kiosk and tea-room, staffed by volunteers, and profits were used to purchase extra equipment for the hospital.
The small but distinctive octagonal structure was located at the main entrance to the hospital. It was largely funded, under a private bequest from Alice Frances Keith Sheridan, and her sister Violet. It was opened on 18 November 1925 and dedicated to the memory of the hospital benefactors, Alice and Violet.